Monday 23 February 2015

Time Well Spent


It is time to graduate with my Master in Science from Walden University. It is difficult to comprehend that this goal that I have had for over twenty years is coming true. I am sure that my colleagues feel that same. The long nights reading, researching, and sharing are drawing to a close. In addition to the wealth of pedagogical knowledge gained, we have become more disciplined, self-reflective and mindful of our roles within organizations and communities around us. We understand that relationships require trust and effective two-way communication. Some of us have improved technical skills. Project requirements incorporating technical supports became less daunting we were having fun while we were learning.

My capstone project intended to promote secure child-father attachment has made me conscious of gaps in service delivery with the early education environment and grade school settings. I plan to use my new found knowledge and disseminate information to my community and other organizations in Edmonton. In addition, I intend on enrolling in more part time online learning in association to the management of non-profit organizations. I am also considering how to continue to incorporate a blogging component into my work environment.

Our passion for serving children, families and professional in early learning environments has brought us here. But, our professors, colleagues and guest speaker mentored our development through their comments that questioned encouraged or corrected. I have grown to appreciate the interactions with the many talent academics associated with M.S. in Early Childhood Studies Department. The feedback and resources have been invaluable and in very many cases timely and reflective of the day to day challenges as an administrator.

I also wish all the best to my colleagues. I have gained invaluable knowledge from your experiences and feedback. Weekly, interactions have been tremendously enlightening and motivating to learn about your perspectives and Capstone projects. I know that you will all be extremely successful in your journey to the field of early education. As we move on I congratulate everyone and wish you all the best for you future careers.



You may never know what results will come from your actions. 
But if you do nothing there will be not a result.           Ghandi

 

When we started the course work, we were challenged to think about how we would manage the rigors of studying and manage family and work life.  It was difficult to imagine that it was achievable. I believe that I will miss the researching and writing but I am looking forward to spending more time with my family.  I am grateful for the support of all my family members who made accommodations; the suppers, chores and encouragement were very important, especially when I felt exhausted. 


Through the support of my family, colleagues and professors I have become a more knowledgeable administrator and early childhood professional. I have enjoyed the studies and believe the time well spent.
I'm Ready to Go:  


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLb76CbrDY8

References

Hardin, C. (2012, May 23)  I'm Ready to Go [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLb76CbrDY8

Little Girl and Tree Quotation.  Retrieved from http://farmon.com/pages/e-mag/ag-ovations/last-we-checked,-the-ag-industry-doesn't-have-a-time-machine,-and-that's-ok.aspxhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLb76CbrDY8

4 comments:

  1. Barb
    We have finished! I am so proud of all of us. The child-father attachment issue is awesome to challenge. Here at Head Start we have a fatherhood program that helps the dads get involved. For example, we have a program called Read to Me Daddy! I love to see when the fathers come into the classroom and read to the children. Their own children's eyes I can see light up and they glow with excitement. I hope that your future holds great things for you and I know that you will continue to advocate everyday for those issues that you feel passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara,

    I too have enjoyed receiving the constructive criticism from the Walden University instructors. It has allowed me the opportunity to grow and learn how to accept criticism without becoming offensive. I have enjoyed communicating with you through discussions and blog post and I hope that you will continue to advocate for the various social issues that need additional voices. Good luck in all of your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara,
    Thank you for your comments and encouragement throughout the course. I too am excited about spending more time with my family. It’s almost unbelievable that the time has come to finally Take A Break. I believe all of us have worked very hard to achieve this goal. Throughout the course I often imagined if you were thinking about moving up to the Doctorate level? And teaching at the college level? I’m really not sure if I’m up for the next challenge. Best Wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara,
    I love that quote! It is so true that if we want to be agents of positive social change in the field, we need to put our passion and our words to action and work towards change. I appreciate your feedback and sharing your knowledge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete